Friday 4 December 2009

Twelve Days of Christmas Cake

Everyone loves a good cake. Well how about a seven foot tall Christmas cake - one that towers so high that a ladder is needed to eat from the very top of it.

Over the last year, in art college, cake has been my sculptural medium of choice. I aim to push the boundaries of what cake decoration is commonly construed to be and demonstrate that the shapes and heights to be reached by a cake are limitless.

I’ve had a number of exhibitions where I put my ideas to the test. I spend several weeks baking the cakes, carving them into weird and wonderful shapes, and then decorating them with icing. Then, in my exhibitions, people can eat the finished cake sculptures.

The eating of this ‘Christmas Cake’ will commence on the 12th of December. I will be here to serve it every day from 1pm to 4pm (on a first come first served basis). It’s rich fruit cake (with marzipan!) and it’s taken me a month to build.
So come along, eat the sculpture and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous cake Connie! I am sure it tastes yummalicios as well :))

    Love the Canadian rellys

    XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Con,
    Blog looks great! Can't wait till the eating of the Twelve Days cake!

    Dave x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had some today at Jenners - really fabulous cake - looks stunning & very moist / tasty too!

    ReplyDelete